Please note submissions are CLOSED until further notice.
Please read the full submission guidelines before sending us your work
We accept work from writers of all experience levels. We are particularly interested in pieces about the Arts community, life as a writer/artist and fiction that is playful and experimental. We are always open to all kinds of art and writing- so make sure to pitch us your ideas if you’re unsure if your work is a good fit for Tulpa.
At the moment we are entirely volunteer-run and unable to pay contributors but hope to do so in the near future.
What we accept:
- Fiction (literary, speculative, mystery, fantasy, Sci-Fi)
- Creative Non-fiction
- Opinion Pieces
We do not accept material that is:
- Directly promotes a specific political or religious party or organisation
- Promotes hate speech
For complete pieces, we have the following word limits. However, if a piece goes a little over the word count we are still happy to accept it.
Fiction pieces – 1500 words maximum
Pieces in excess of 2000 words will not be considered for publication
Feature Articles – 800-1500 words
Reviews – 500 words
Preparing your work for submission:
All submissions must be attached as a word document (.doc, .docx, .odt). We do not accept submissions in .pdf or .txt format. Please do not paste your work into the body of the email.
Documents should be in a serif font (e.g. Times New Roman) with 1.5 line spacing. Include the title of your piece at the top of the document along with your name. If you wish to publish your piece under a pseudonym/pen-name please include it on the document with your given name like this:
John Smith (writing as A.J. Brown)
Please proofread your work before submitting. While our editors will provide feedback on all submissions, we still expect all authors to proofread their work for spelling, grammar and punctuation errors.
Once you’re ready to submit make sure that your email does the following:
- Please include your name and title of the piece in the body of the email.
- Include the type of submission in the subject line of your email – e.g. ‘Fiction_title_your name’ or ‘Title of the piece (Fiction)’.
- Attach your piece as a word document (.doc, .docx, .odt). Do not paste your work into the body of the email.
- In the body of the email, include a brief 50-word bio about yourself. This bio will accompany your piece if it is accepted for publication. If you do not want to include a bio, please state this in your email.
- If you want to include a headshot to accompany your work, please attach it as a .jpeg file. Do not paste the image into the body of the email.
Send your completed pieces to email@example.com
If you have an idea for an article but you’re not sure if it’s a good fit for Tulpa or you’re not quite sure how you want to write it then pitch to us.
All you need to do is write us a short description of what you want to write about and an estimate of how long your piece will be. Include any additional information important to your piece or any issues you would like help with.
Send your pitches to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Pitch’ as the subject line.
After you submit:
As Tulpa Magazine relies on volunteers to read and edit pieces, we cannot guarantee a fast turn-around on pieces. If you have concerns about the status of your submission or wish to withdraw your piece, please email us at email@example.com
If your piece is accepted for publication elsewhere please inform us via email so that we can withdraw your submission.